Monday 11 April 2011

Bencher Election - Avvy Go

The ACCLO is supporting four of its members as Bencher candidates, including Ms Avvy Go, current Bencher.

1.       Avvy’s election statement on The Law Times is found here.



A message from Avvy directly follows.


Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Once again I am running to be a bencher of the Law Society of Upper Canada.  This time, I will be one of only two lawyers working in the legal clinic system running in the election.

You might be thinking, isn’t there a far more important election happening right now that deserves our full attention so that the real issues that affect all Canadians will not get lost?  You are absolutely correct.  In fact, if you are only going to vote once this spring, you should vote in the other election.  But if you also voting in the benchers' election, or know someone who will, then I would like to ask for your brief indulgence to discuss my candidacy.

Since re-elected in November, 2006, I have made access to justice (including advocacy for sustainable legal aid) and equity within the profession my priorities in my role as a bencher.   I cannot claim that I have made LSUC turn a new page on any of these issues.  But I can honestly say that the perspectives I bring as a racialized lawyer working in the clinic system is not something that the Convocation hears often.   Just by sharing my experiences, I believe I have helped my fellow benchers and the senior staff members of LSUC gain a better understanding of the legal aid system and of the struggle many racialized and/or legal aid lawyers face on a daily basis.

As outlined in my attached “election statement”, some positive though small steps have been taken by LSUC on some of these important issues, but they are not nearly enough to address the underlying systemic problems.  More importantly, any one of these measures can only be brought to fruition if the people elected to the governing body are committed to seeing it through. 

If you, like me, believe that the LSUC has a role to play in promoting legal aid and equity, then please vote for the candidates who share your vision for change, i.e., lawyers with a demonstrated commitment to social justice and equality.

Please note that this year the voting will be done on line.  To increase the chance of your favourite candidates, please do not cast all 40 votes; only vote for those you really want to see elected.

To get more information, go to:  http://www.lsuc.on.ca/bencher_election/

I don't have any website, facebook, twitter, brochures or buttons.  But I do ask you to pass this email on to the lawyers you know if you support my candidacy.   On a separate note, if you have not yet done so, I invite you to visit a new legal history website that I am very proud to have been a part of: www.roadtojustice.ca

Thank you for your consideration and your time in reading this email.

Avvy Yao-Yao Go

Gregory Chang
ACCLO - FCCP
Association of Chinese Canadian Lawyers in Ontario,
a member of the Federation of Chinese Canadian Professionals

No comments:

Post a Comment